Thursday, July 23, 2009

What's the Word Around the World?

Having presented numerous issues to include in a virtual library, I'm left with a tough decision of what to include on my library blog. I don't want something too complex, as I am bridging the elementary and high school scenario. So it should be fun. I also want it to appeal to the staff so they can use it as a resource, professional development and collaboration. I also need to consider the parents in the community so they too can see the value in such a service. Decisions, decisions. Considering all the great possibilities, which one or two will I choose? I don't want to bombard the site with too many choices as to be confusing. Having done the research to see what's out there, now I need to see how others are implementing the virtual world. Next, it needs to be able to fit the needs of our users. Lastly, I'll apply it to the blog.

After all is said and done, here's my choice and my explanation why. These are the key components I'd like to see included for our school's purposes. These would be my must haves realizing that as needs change, so do the services offered.

· Podcasts/ Videos/ Tutorials
· Easy access searches linking to reference, online catalogues - pathfinders, public library
· Collaborative component - interactive - ask a librarian, Professional Development
· Databases - journals, periodicals, ebooks
· Online tools for Web services (Valenza, 2007)

With looking for the above traits, the virtual libraries I'll link to my blog could not be narrowed down to just one or two. I've included one virtual library in each level - elementary to address our Grade 7's, middle to address our Grade 8's, and high school for the Grade 9's.

Penn Wood Elementary School Virtual Library was selected because it met all but one of the criteria. There are Internet links and tutorials provided. A reference desk is available. A link to ask an expert gives the connective aspect. Ebooks are available from many points. The only missing component is the online approach.
· I love this acrostic poem posted on the site:
Linking
Ideas
Between
Readers
And
Resources
Informing
Enriching
Sharing

Virtual Middle School Library was chosen due to the wonderful resource it provides even though it is missing a couple of components. What it does consist of are: resources for students, teachers through Pro-D, and parents; there is a magazine rack offering periodicals and newspapers; and Internet search including Webpage design. The missing pieces are podcasts or videos and the collaborative interactive aspect.

Reynold's High School Library was included because it had a strong Web 2.0 component as well as covering all the criteria. It includes: podcasts and YouTube videos, local public library link, book blog, databases, and the Web 2.0 links.

I had to include this one as it's excellent. Springfield Township High School Virtual Library was mandatory. There are Instructional videos and podcasts, the reference desk offers general information. The pathfinders follow subject related searches. The collaborative aspect includes: links for teachers, a Teacher-Librarian Wiki, and ask a librarian. The databases component includes catalogues and databases. Online tools offers new tools workshop. Other libraries were also included; please have a look at the 'Library List' as well as the 'Virtual Libraries' sidebars.

In an ideal world this would be an excellent supplement to a wonderful library. Realistically though - will it create more headaches when things go wrong for clients? Will it raise questions about asking for more tools to be available? Will people rely upon this service and therefore funding will be cut even further for our school libraries? These and many more questions are still out there. Have you had success in implementing a virtual library to your clients?

Sources

Bertland, Linda. (2009, July 15). Virtual Middle School Library. Retrieved from http://www.sldirectory.com/virtual.html

Lindsay, Karen. (n.d.) Reynolds High School Library. Retrieved from http://reynoldslibrary.weebly.com/

Penn Wood Elementary School Virtual Library. (2008, August). Retrieved from http://schools.wcasd.net/PennWood/Staff/library/index.html

Valenza, Joyce. (2007, July 11). A WebQuest About School Library Websites. Retrieved from http://schoollibrarywebsites.wikispaces.com/.

Valenza, Joyce. (2009, June 10). Springfield Township High School Virtual Library. Retrieved from http://www.sdst.org/shs/library/

4 comments:

  1. Reading your post reminds me so much of the things I thought of and went through when researching for our virtual library.I kept thinking is all this work going to benefit the students and staff? If I build it will they come? Am I be working myself out of a job? I think my adminstration is realizing that a T-L is needed more now than before we had the site and teachers and students are using it, although they had to be taught how to use it and I hope that once I add more of the web 2.0 tools, that its use will increase even more. I wish I would have taken this course before but...

    Good luck on building yours,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. This just opens the door to add to it to keep it fresh. It is like a revolving door - it goes round and round with some things going in and some things coming out ut ever changing.

    You have the advantage of working on it first-hand. Keep up the great work.
    May

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to see elementary school samples. I will be sure to keep this school in my bookmarks.

    I knew Joyce Valenza was amazing but I didn't realize she was everywhere! I love seeing her links, too.

    Thanks, great job,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi May,

    Interesting isn't it? That both this week's blog assignment and the discussion question are causing us to sift through so many options and so much information, to determine what it is that is really essential to each of us ... and in doing so we are becoming really reflective of what exactly we value and hope to achieve. It's quite journey!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete