Monday, July 20, 2009

The Readings Made Podcasting Sound So Easy.

After reading many articles on the basics behind podcasting, most offered the downloading of a couple of programs to facilitate the production of podcasts. The two programs that were most often recommended were Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) to record the audio component and convert it into an MP3 format. This format is then uploaded onto a web based storage provider OurMedia (http://www.ourmedia.org/) to then access onto a website. OK this is the format - but it doesn't always go according to plan.

Step 1: I downloaded Audacity.
Step 2: I created a recording (after many tries) and editing.
Step 3: I converted this file into a MP3 format and saved it on my computer.
Step 4: I used OurMedia.com to upload the file to create a URL. The field at the bottom says "copy the code below and paste it into your favorite pages".
Step 5: I changed and saved the format settings on my blog to accommodate the link.
Step 6: I imported the file from OurMedia to my blog (OK, I'm thinking, I've finally done it - a smile comes across my face - success) but I got an error message that says "URL contains illegal characters". Now what:(
Step 7: I went back to the saved file to hear the recording and oh, no - it was super fast. Huh, what happened there?

So now I have two unresolved problems - one is that my podcast (from the recording I've done) is saved in a zip format [I think] to conserve space (on the OurMedia server) and two - I can't upload my Travelling Crooked Man podcast. Apparently not all answers are on the Internet - I need to talk to a real person, but who? Any suggestions?

What Have I learned in all this? Yes, I agree we need to be able to understand and use this technology before we expose our students to it. Yes, I still have some way to go before I am there but I do feel there is great potential once the problems are solved. I can also envision a fabulous blog I can include podcasts for students, teachers, parents, and be able toshare with the world as well. Whether these podcasts are created or shared, I feel that with all the possibilities of bringing information closer to us, it almost seems like the world is getting to be a smaller place.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    It took me awhile to figure out what to do with a zip file.. Try this.
    Right click on the zipped file and find "extract all". A new screen opens and you press "extract" again.

    Hope it works,

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete