Thursday, July 23, 2009

If Virtual Libraries Are So Great, Why Aren't There More Of Them?

You have to agree that there is something wonderful happening out there in the virtual realm, but is there something that counters it in the real world? There always seems to be a balance. Here are some problems that I can see arise. I'm finding that through my searches for true virtual libraries, the funding is not being supplied to keep these libraries up and running. I know that my own school district has had funding cuts where our elementary librarians are employed only one day per week. At the middle school level we are up to three-quarter time, and only at the high school level are there full-time librarians. Due to this shortage in monies directed towards libraries, it does make sense to inform and educate educational personnel about virtual libraries. Why not have access to information and resources at all times? Why only when the school library is open?

This raises a concern about needing libraries at all if everything you need is available online. There is still something to be said about the handling real books - I don't think they will ever go away. I had a regular student who would come into the library to see what new books I had purchased. He would gingerly pick up the books, open the cover, and inhale deeply. He said there was nothing like the smell of a newly published book. It always put a smile on his face. You certainly can't get the senses involved in the virtual world.

That brings me to the next question - Are book publishers about to give up producing books for people to read just because e-books are available online? Why do all these questions revolve around money?

If I Don't Have the Funds to Travel the World, I'll Bring the World to Me.

To put this into perspective for use in my library, I narrowed down my focus to the usage of fiction that I'm highly sought after by my patrons. I turned to EduChoices to find online Libraries 25 Places to Read Free Books Online. Some of the favourites will be: Bibliomania (also offers student resources), Fiction.us (for novels), and Project Gutenberg (offers 125 000 titles). Although you will probably not find all the books you are looking for, there is certainly quite a selection provided covering numerous genres.

With a reference such as this attached to my library blog, I can entertain those students looking for that illustrious title. I will also suggest to students and staff, that these resources are available at all times and can be accessed from home as well to broaden the field of library use.

Source

Kahney, Melissa. (2008, August 21). EduChoices to find online Libraries - 25 Places to Read Free Books Online. Retrieved from http://educhoices.org/articles/Online_Libraries_-_25_Places_to_Read_Free_Books_Online.html

3 comments:

  1. Great contemplation of the issues presented within virtual libraries. I must agree that the biggest challenge to maintaining virtual libraries is money, and with lack of money, well, we can definitely see the results. Usually the bigger virtual libraries, those supported by large organizations and institutions, are always on par, but than again, it is a matter of finding what suits your needs.
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Libraians with good 2.0 knowledge have a lot to offer to their clientelle. Especially as work with there clients and get to know their needs. Let's face it, the web is a circus and it gets ard to know where to look. People appreciate others who have experience in this area.

    Do you hope that students sharing collaborative projects and posting on them to your schools virtual website will benefit the library? I do. A great "crowd pleaser."

    I don't think we are doomed for extinction but I do think that we have to work hard to meet needs and keep "in their face".

    P.S.
    Love you Paris pictures. There are many of the big highlights captures in them. Enjoy
    Have you seen the virtual site from the Louvre. It is amazing.
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. "This raises a concern about needing libraries at all if everything you need is available online."

    To me, this is the point--who else but a trained and qualified librarian/teacher-librarian could create an excellent virtual library site that provides access to information in an organized, meaningful way? And, a virtual library should provide a balance between virtual or digital services and those services that are found in person (e.g. books). And, think about the UofA library--they offer a great online presence to students and staff. They have pathfinders, databases, etc. that are available online and you don't have to go into the library to access these services. They also have reference services that are provided to patrons using IM chatting--a service that couldn't be completed without a 'real' person at both ends of the conversation! So, I don't think it's an either or situation and I think anyone who argues that digital or virtual libraries mean a librarian and physical library are no longer necessary (e.g. administrators) are wrong!

    ReplyDelete